Personal identifiers (Cookies) have been served to devices used by children which enable the running of lucrative personalised Ads.
Contextualized Ads Vs Personalised Ads
A personalised Ad is where Google looks at the viewer’s data and serves an Ad based on their viewing history
A contextualized Ad is similar to the Ads you would see if you switch on a traditional TV
The collection of this data (cookies) has been found to be in breach of the coppa law and all American owned tech companies (Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc) will put in measures to comply in 2020.
The focus of responsibility has shifted to the content creators who can face up to $46,000 for incorrectly marking their content. Content that is designated for kids will lose key functionality needed for growth within YouTube. If Ads run, they will be contextual Ads, not personalised Ads. Revenue is expected to drop in the region of 60% to 80%.
Definition of what’s made for kids,
- What is the subject matter of your video?
- Whether children are your intended audience for the video
- Whether the video includes child actors or models
- Whether the video includes characters, celebrities or toys that appeal to children, including animated characters or cartoon figures.
- Whether the language of the video is intended for children to understand
- Whether the video includes activities that appeal to children
- Whether the video includes songs, stories, or poems that appeals to children